Granby cross country: A season recap

A brief overview of the accomplishments of the Granby Cross Country 2022 season.

Miles Miskill, Senior Editor

On Saturday, October 29, 2022, the Granby Cross Country team suited up at 5:30 in the morning to go to York River State Park to run at the 5B regionals race. The week before this race, both the girls and boys teams competed in the district championship, the boys having won districts and the girls placing second. Starting at eight, our top boys runners–Henry Sol, Graham Johnson, Noah Fournier, Carver Dean, and Fritjof Ohlrogge, Gabe Malone, Chris Guillen, and Carlos Mendoza– placed Granby boys in second place overall. Later that morning, Ella Gilmore, Ariana Rivera, Julie Poffenbarger, Laurel Caddell, Cora Cowan, Makayla Kyle, Maddie Cooper, and Lorelei Powers earned second overall for the girls. Despite having previously beaten Maury High School’s cross country teams, they were unable to walk away victoriously at regionals. However, even with the loss to Maury at regionals, both teams were able to send their top runners to states the weekend of November 12th.

Pictured from left to right: Chris Guillen, Graham Johnson, Henry Sol, Fritjof Ohlrogge, Carlos Mendoza, and Carver Dean at states.

At this event, top runners from across the region compete on one of the most difficult courses in the state for the championship. Our runners did exceptionally well at this event and are looking forward to qualifying again next season.

Pictured From left to right: Maddie Cooper, Cora Cowan, Julie Poffenbarger, Ariana Rivera, Laurel Caddell, Makayla Kyle, at states.

Many would think that the end of the season would mean a break from running for all these athletes, but no. You will find a strong majority of the cross country runners in the hallways after school, stretching or in the bike room. You may even spot them on your drive home, running over the Granby Street Bridge to prepare for the upcoming indoor track season. This is truly a testament to the growing strength of our athletic programs here at Granby. It would not be possible without the spirits of our student athletes.