A postmortem on Granby football ’22

Lilliana Garza, Writer

At a typical high school, football is one of the most celebrated sports in the school. However, at Granby High School, football is one of the most ridiculed. 

The Comets began the 2022 season with a 66-0 loss against Maury. Contrary to most prideful schools, it was accepted with minimal disbelief. Most people have accepted the losing team for years.

The first reason why Granby football is held back is the lack of players. Granby boasts almost 1,800 students, and yet the football team had only 38 athletes on the roster. In comparison, Maury High School fielded 69 players for the varsity squad alone. 

Tight end Davontae Brown, junior, and defender Solomon Fa’ataui, senior, are frustrated by the small number of players on the team. “We have what, 1,800 kids here and only 38 kids [on the team]?” says Solomon. “What I don’t understand is that the school thinks we suck. But no one is playing.” 

This sentiment is also carried by former head coach William “Larry’’ Archie Jr., who says that many students are reluctant to join because of how unpopular the team is.

Another factor is the lack of school support. Many players feel ostracized. “It’s rough. People like to say bad stuff about us, but they aren’t playing,” Brown says. 

People with negative attitudes against the football team discourage others and themselves from playing, team members say. While some staff members might support the team and still have hope, they are vastly outnumbered by students who continue to look down on the program. 

The third biggest factor is a lack of discipline. 

Fa’ataui explained that the team is at risk from a lack of commitment. “Some of them just don’t want to come to practice,” he says

Brown also comments on this predicament. “I don’t like it, because like, when you come on [the team], we should get the experience together, to play with each other.” 

Despite the obstacles, Granby’s football team has endured. Coach Archie has been a stable role model for the players such as Brown.

According to players, Archie has been a healthy encouragement at practice and games. Brown says Archie “tries his best, and makes sure that the players are on their best behavior.” He also encourages players to be on time in order to play the game. 

Since Archie wasn’t rehired as a coach, Athletic Director Chris Harris and Principal Thomas R. Smigiel Jr. have interviewed candidates for next season. Whomever they choose will have to grow the team and a winning program.