Former Virginia Poet Laureate visits Granby students

Miles Miskill

March 27, 2023

Former Virginia  Poet Laureate and National Book Award Finalist, Tim Seibles arrived at Granby High School during sixth block this Monday, invited by his friend, former student, and fellow poet, Edmund Dowe—an English teacher here at Granby. Upon entering the room, Seibles was greeted with an eruption of applause from the audience of fans familiar with his work thanks to Dowe’s teaching of his poetry throughout the year.

After a glowing introduction from Dowe, Seibles proceeded to read a collection of his work to the entranced English students, starting with a poem written through the perspective of Bugs Bunny. Seible’s voice flowed like honey, carrying his stories down a winding river of passion, intrigue, humor, and nostalgia.

The audience was immediately drawn in to Seibles’ powerful poetry. Senior Tina Li, editor of the Granby Cupola, commented that  “part of poetry is the spoken and acted-out form, and though we can experience it through TV, it is much more powerful in real life. Much more intimate.” This is a sentiment that could be felt throughout the room, through the “mmms” and “ahhhs”, the chuckles, and the silences filled with reflection.

After concluding his reading with “The Ballad of Sadie LaBabe”—a fan favorite and the first Seibles poem Dowe introduced to his students—Seibles took questions from the audience. The discussion leapt from the methodology of his writing process to his childhood in Philadelphia, his relationship with his father, and the impact that writing poetry has had on his life. Afterward, several students had the chance to go up and meet Seibles to purchase autographed copies of some of his best works.

To have such an accomplished writer come to Granby to inspire and move students is a fantastic privilege and a true testament to the passion of the teachers here at Granby. Thanks to their dedication, students are afforded opportunities like these to expand their artistic horizons and continue growing into more thoughtful, well-rounded individuals.