College Chronicles #2: Finding your fit

Tina Li, Senior Editor

Be it clothes, extracurriculars, or colleges, everyone should find their right fit. But for seniors trying to determine which colleges to apply to, the concept of a “right fit college” can feel abstract at best and impossible at worst.

Previously in College Chronicles, a series dedicated to providing tips and resources for the college application process, we explored how students can cope with stress in their senior year. In this second edition, we dive into what a right fit college entails and how a student can decide that for themself.

Danielle Harris is a college guidance counselor for the community-based organization Leadership Enterprise for a Diverse America. A graduate of Yale’s class of 2021, she now aids scholars all over the nation in the college application process.

“In order for a student to understand what makes a college a good fit for them,” Harris said, “they have to [first] do a lot of self-reflection.”

When reflecting, Harris explained, it’s important to envision your ideal college setting. Is it suburban or urban? Small or large student body? Politically active? Does it have an active party and social scene?

You might’ve already come across those quizzes that ask these seemingly relentless questions. And though it might seem like it’s too early to be sure what you even want in college, there are definitely ways you can get started now in finding out.

Harris told us that “the best way to ensure a college is the right fit is to visit. But of course, that option may not be available to every student.”

Therefore, she advises that “it’s really important to do a lot of research with multiple sources ranging from a school’s website and speaking with current/former students, to even checking out what students post about their school on social media.”

“If you’re able to visit, it’s helpful to attend classes, walk around campus, meet with students, visit the financial aid office, and really visualize if you can see yourself thriving at that institution. These methods can still be engaged online through virtual tours and online lectures.”

When we asked Harris about common mistakes students make in the college application process, she said it was to “apply or attend a college based on outsiders’ perspectives, whether that’s from what ‘society’ tends to think about a school or from [family members].”

“Choosing a college is a crucial decision since most students will spend at least four years at that institution. Therefore, it’s important to ensure that you’re making the decision for yourself and not for others.”

Of course, this year’s seniors have already mostly wrapped up their applications. And for current juniors, the process of drafting a college list might seem like a problem for the future, but it can definitely be started now. Over the summer is the perfect time to start touring colleges, and having a list of colleges that truly speak to a student’s desires for a college education can certainly ease stressors going into their senior year.

Look forward to our next installment of the College Chronicles, and in the meantime, keep in mind these words of wisdom from Harris.

“Always remember that a college doesn’t define you, it’s what you choose to do there that does.”